How to import your boat

Found a Boat, Jet Ski or Yacht you want to purchase and Import from overseas and don’t know how to go about Importing it to Australia?

Here’s how LLS can help

What you need to do

  • Advise the dealer you will nominate your own Freight Forwarder. Nominating your own Freight Forwarder gives you security and control of your costs
  • To import a Boat, Jet Ski or Yacht an Import Permit is not required however, should your Boat, Jet Ski or Yacht be on a trailer you will need to obtain an Import Permit from DOTARS. We recommend you have the Import Permit on hand prior to shipping your Boat, Jet Ski or Yacht. LLS can assist with the application as requested. Please contact us for the Import Application Form.
  • Once you have your Permit you will need to provide LLS with a copy of the Import Permit as this is required for Customs purposes.

What we arrange

  • Booking space with the Shipping Line
  • Collection of your Boat, Jet Ski or Yacht from the dealer
  • Export Customs Clearance and Documentation
  • Loading & Securing your Boat, Jet Ski or Yacht in a Container or on a Flat Rack or Platform
  • Customs and Quarantine formalities in Australia
  • Unloading your Boat, Jet Ski or Yacht (if shipped in a container)
  • Re-assemble trailer (if shipped in a container)
  • Re-fit motor to Boat
  • Quarantine Inspection
  • Delivery as requested

Shipping methods

Here are the methods LLS can bring your Boat, Jet-Ski or Yacht down under.

  • FCL – 20’, 40’ & 40’HQ
  • Flat Rack – 20’ & 40’
  • LO/LO (Lift On / Lift Off)
  • Platform – 20ft and 40ft
  • RO/RO (Roll On / Roll Off)

Does your Boat or Yacht have air conditioning and/or a refrigerator?
If yes please read the below important information.

A pre-charged equipment (PCE) licence is required to import refrigeration or air-conditioning equipment that contains a hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) or hydrochloroflurocarbon (HCFC) refrigerant.

The most common types of HFCs and HCFCs are:

R134a R22

A full list of substances can be found under Schedule 1 of the Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Act 1989 (the Act), available at

A PCE licence is required even if the air-conditioning or refrigeration system is incorporated into another object, e.g. a car, boat, yacht, caravan, earth moving equipment, vending or ice-making machines, ice cream makers, airconditioners, refrigerators, water coolers, etc. A licence is required by all importers of pre-charged equipment, independent of the number of units or the amount of gas in the units being imported, unless the equipment has been degassed prior to being imported (and the importer has documentary evidence to confirm this). Further information is avaiable at

To import pre-charged equipment without a licence is an offence under the Act.