How to import your caravan

Found a Caravan, Fifth Wheeler or Motor Home you want to purchase and Import from overseas and don’t know how to go about Importing it to Australia?

Here’s how LLS can help.

What you need to do

  • Advise the dealer you will nominate your own Freight Forwarder. Nominating your own Freight Forwarder gives you security and control of your costs
  • You will need to obtain an Import Permit from DOTARS. We recommend you have the Import Permit on hand prior to shipping your Caravan, Fifth Wheeler or Motorhome. LLS can assist with the application as requested. Please contact us for the Import Application Form.
  • Once you have your Permit you will need to provide LLS with a copy of the Import Permit as this is required for Customs purposes.

What we arrange

  • Booking space with the Shipping Line
  • Collection of your Caravan, Fifth Wheeler or Motor Home from the dealer
  • Export Customs Clearance and Documentation
  • Customs and Quarantine formalities in Australia
  • Unloading your Caravan, Fifth Wheeler or Motorhome if shipped on a Flat Rack or Platform.
  • Quarantine Inspection
  • Delivery as requested

Shipping methods

Does your Caravan, Fifth Wheeler or Motorhome have air conditioning or a refrigerator?
If yes please read the below important information.

A pre-charged equipment (PCE) licence is required to import refrigeration or air-conditioning equipment that contains a hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) or hydrochloroflurocarbon (HCFC) refrigerant.

The most common types of HFCs and HCFCs are:

R134a R22

A full list of substances can be found under Schedule 1 of the Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Act 1989 (the Act), available at

A PCE licence is required even if the air-conditioning or refrigeration system is incorporated into another object, e.g. a car, boat, yacht, caravan, earth moving equipment, vending or ice-making machines, ice cream makers, airconditioners, refrigerators, water coolers, etc. A licence is required by all importers of pre-charged equipment, independent of the number of units or the amount of gas in the units being imported, unless the equipment has been degassed prior to being imported (and the importer has documentary evidence to confirm this). Further information is avaiable at

To import pre-charged equipment without a licence is an offence under the Act.